Following the great success of past Science Festival events, the National Museum of Natural History (MNHN) and the National Research Fund (FNR) are pleased to announce that the 11th edition of the leading event in promoting science in Luxembourg will be held in the surroundings of Neimënster and the premises of the National Museum of National History) in Luxembourg-Grund from 9 to 12 November 2017.
The purpose of this event is to present and promote science and research in Luxembourg and to encourage young people and the general public to become interested in and curious about science and technology, through interactive workshops, science-related shows and performances and related activities
School classes and groups can register in advance to take part in the Science Festival on Thursday, 9 and Friday, 10 November 2017. The workshops and other activities will be open to the general public over the weekend of 11-12 November 2017.
The success of the previous editions was down to to the quality of the activities presented by the collaborating and contributing associations, research centres, universities and other participants in the field of science and research science in Luxembourg, in the Greater Region and beyond.
We hope that you will support us again with the same enthusiasm during the 2017 edition of the Science Festival and that many of you will respond to our Call for Proposals!
The following activities are eligible:
- Interactive workshops (hands-on science)
- Science-related shows and theatrical performances
- Other activities e.g. scientific walk-acts (only for the weekend)
Conferences, lectures and information stands are not eligible.
The selection criteria for all activities are as follows:
- Scientific character
- Educational aspect:
- Content and way of disseminating the information and the scientific knowledge to the public
- Interactive aspect
- Expected results: e.g. potential to awaken the public’s interest for a scientific topic, provide the public with information on a scientific subject, achieve a genuine discussion with the public on a scientific subject, etc.
- Originality of your activity
- Estimated costs (see chapter on “Eligible costs”)
Thematic areas for 2017
The present Call is open to activites from all scientific and technological domains. There are therefore no thematic limitations because we aim to equally represent the various scientific and technological domains.
Duration and format of the activities
When selecting activities, priority will be given to those that will be present during the four days of the Science Festival.
- On Thursday and Friday, 9 and 10 November 2017, from 9am until 12am and from 1.30pm until 4.30pm, the Festival will be open to school classes and groups only. Groups and school classes are entitled to three half-hour workshops with specific time slots, after which participants are free to visit the festival on their own.
- On Saturday and Sunday, 11 and 12 November 2017, the Festival will be open to the general public from 10am to 6pm.
Your activities must be prepared in two formats:
- “School/group” format: The activity must last 30 minutes and be designed for a group of up to 25 pupils.
- “General public/non-guided visit” format
- Preparation and running costs
A flat-rate payment of EUR VAT included 600 per person (workshop organiser or host) present for the entire duration of the Science Festival will be paid to cover your preparatory and organisational costs. Please indicate in the application form how many individuals will be present at any one time to run the workshop (example of calculation: Tom runs the workshop on Thursday and Friday and Sarah on Saturday and Sunday. In this case, the total eligible running costs will be 1 x EUR VAT included 600). You may also make use of support staff during the event if you require.
- Material & Equipmentcosts (new/rental)
Eligible expenses are for instance the material bought for the activity, the renting of equipment, etc.
- Transport and travel costs
Transport expenses may be paid for the transport of equipment to the Science Festival 2017 location (the reimbursement is only available if this service is provided by a subcontractor).
Travel expenses shall only be paid for the duration and distances required to complete the activity as part of the Science Festival 2017. Receipts for the use of public transport (bus, train) or a rental vehicle must be attached to the financial report. Travel expenses for private vehicles shall be paid at a rate of EUR 0.30 per kilometre. Parking expenses are not eligible.
- Accomodation costs
The maximum eligible amount per person per night is EUR 125, including all taxes.
Free catering will be provided for the activity hosts for the four days of the event (morning snack and lunch is foreseen but not dinner). Meal costs are not eligible (for example restaurant bills).
Submission Deadline and Selection Process
Please apply online between the 1st December 2016 and 24 February 2017, using the form available on the website www.science-festival.lu.
A selection committee will evaluate the proposals. If your proposal is selected, a contract will be signed and the FNR will pay up to 80% of the granted contribution in advance of the event; the balance will be paid after submission of a short final report and a detailed account of receipts and expenses. Copies of the invoices must be joined to the final report.
Proposals will be selected by 31 March 2017.
To prepare your proposal we are providing the following WORD-Document.
After sending the application form online, you will instantly and automatically receive an email with the information you have entered. If you don’t receive such an email, please contact us to make sure that we have received your proposal.
For further information over the organisation of the Science Festival 2017, please contact us.
A financial report has to be submitted after the event.
- 3LIU (UL, LIST, LIH, LISER): We will provide you with an Excel spreadsheet to fill out. Accounting extracts need not be attached.
- Other beneficiaries: Copies of invoices must be attached to the financial report.